7th/8th grade ELA Teacher Description:
About Young Audiences Charter Schools
Young Audiences Charter Schools (YACS) offers a unique and highly desired arts-integrated model that seamlessly aligns with the identity of the Greater New Orleans Area. With multiple schools in New Orleans and Jefferson Parish, YACS works arduously to achieve its mission of educating the whole child through arts integration and equipping all creative learners to flourish as leaders in life and learning. YACS Creative Learners from Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade are provided appropriate arts-integrated learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth.
What is a Creative Educator?
YACS Creative Educators educators work collaboratively to develop sound instructional strategies rooted in the foundations of arts integration. With a dedicated focus on improving student outcomes, our school-level and network-level leadership is committed to supporting teachers in becoming transformative educators. YACS is a family of Creative Educators committed to “Academic Excellence with an Artistic Edge”.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (include but not limited to)
- Develop and implement arts-integrated units, lessons, and projects that fulfill the requirements of Young Audiences curriculum program assigned and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional/learning strategies, activities, materials, and technology that reflect accommodation for individual needs of students assigned.
- Work cooperatively with Teaching Artists to develop and implement arts-integrated lessons.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established by Individual Education Plans (IEP). Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Integrate technologies in the teaching/learning process.
- Consistently assess student achievement through formal and informal testing.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Be a positive role model for students.
- Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents, the school leader, and other colleagues.
- Maintain a professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Use acceptable communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Conference with parents to consistently update them on their child’s progress.
Professional Conduct and Other
- Exhibit professional judgment and responsibility at all times.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Participate in assigned morning, lunch, and afternoon duties.
- Follow attendance policy as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the Administration and/or supervisor.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Love and appreciation for the arts and arts education
- Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Teaching certification (preferred but not required)
- 1+ Years of Teaching Experience (preferred)
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. YACS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health, vision, dental, life insurance, a 401k plan and more.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Teaching Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: In person